Caramel “Crack” Popcorn with Pecans
Everyone Loves popcorn, caramel and pecans so you just know that this recipe is going to rock. I made a big batch of this yummy treat, and we snacked off and on all the way to Texas, last year. Also, great for holiday gifts, Hostess gifts, or cookie exchange; this is also great in Halloween cellophane bags. One batch of this delicious mixture makes enough for several gifts.
Makes 20 cups
18 cups popped popcorn
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
½ cup dark corn syrup
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup salted pecan halves or mixed nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Place popcorn in ungreased large roasting pan; set in oven to keep warm, (but, keep the door ajar).
2. Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees or small amount of mixture dropped into ice water form a soft ball, (4 to 6 minutes).
3. Remove from heat, stir in baking soda CAREFULLY (mixture will be very hot) pour over popcorn. Sprinkle nuts over caramel mixture. Stir until popcorn and nuts are well coated.
4. Bake 20 minutes; with a metal spatula mix, stir, toss, and turn over, (any or all); continue baking for 25 minutes longer.
5. Remove from oven; immediately place caramel corn onto waxed paper – cool completely. Break into pieces.
6. Store in containers with tight fitting lids; in cellophane bags make sure to twist the tie real tight.
Chef Jerrieann Taylor