Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce
I Love bread pudding an always looking for that recipe that would best match the bread pudding my Mar made. I am still looking for a bread pudding you can slice like bread, that’s what Mars was like. But, this one is still very good and the brandy sauce really takes it over the top.
Extract butter, and granulated sugar for pan
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, beaten, room temperature
2 cups whole milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
*3 cups cubed Italian bread, cut and allowed to stale overnight.
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten, room temperature
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup brandy
1. Butter and sugar (shake out extra sugar) a 13 X 9 X 2-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together with a whisk granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl, add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit at least 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter and pecans. Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set; remove from oven.
4. For sauce, mix together sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in saucepan. Over medium heat, stir together until sugar is melted. Add brandy, stirring well.
5. Pour over warm bread pudding. Delicious served warm or cold.
* You can also stick bread cubes in a 250 degrees oven for 10 to 15 minutes; it works just as well as day old bread.
– Chef Jerrieann Taylor