1 9-inch baked and cooled pastry shell
Pastry recipe makes two 9- inch shells
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup butter flavored Crisco, cold, and cubed
4 Tablespoons ice water
1. Mix flour and salt together, add Cold Crisco cubes, work by hand or with pastry cutter, until all of Crisco is worked into the flour mixture. Then add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time until pastry forms a nice ball of dough.
2. Roll the dough out, between sheets of waxed paper. Roll pastry out to 11- inch, nice and round. Remove to waxed paper, slid hand under pastry, and waxed paper, now flip pastry into 9- inch pie pan. Remove waxed paper, and carefully fit pastry into pan. With kitchen scissor cut off excess pastry, but leave an 3/4- inch lip of pastry behind. Now fold that lip under itself, and with your first two fingers on one hand, and index finger on other hand crimp pastry all the way round to finish shell top. Place in refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. When will chilled remove and place a piece of parchment or foil down in shell and add pie weights, or dried beans for weight. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully remove weights, & paper, then bake another 10 minutes. Remove and let cool on wire rack.
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
3 egg yolks, separate cold, then keep room temperature
4 – 1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
1. In a heatproof bowl place chocolate, and butter. Place bowl over, sauce pan of boiling water, making sure bowl does not touch water. This will melt chocolate, and butter without burning them. Stir once and awhile with rubber spatula. When smooth, and melted, remove from heat, and let cool.
2. In heavy bottom saucepan, add sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt, mix together. Then add milk, and cream, one cup at a time. Stir and cook on medium heat, cook for 7 – 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat, and add cooled chocolate mixture, stir well to incorporate. Now add slightly beaten yolks to mixture. Mix in well, then return to heat, and cook 2 – 3 more minutes longer.
4. Let chocolate mixture cool for 5 – 10 minutes, then pour into waiting pastry shell. Chill pie for 4 hours, then add whipped cream on top, and garnish with shaved chocolate.